Custom License and Exemptions

Rate Cutting and Tariff Exemption

There are two types of rate cutting in tariffs: 1- unconditional rate cutting and tax exemption based on certain principles, 2- conditional tariff reduction and exemption which reduces import tariffs or exempts import duties based on the product application.

Do I need require import license?

As a businessman, you do not need a license to import. But there are some items that require import license. For more information you can contact Ebrahimi Trading Group. A series of general items such as food, beverages, plants, animals or drugs, prestigious brands of shoes and bags, suitcases, toys, and products that respect copyright law Such as CDs, DVDs and cassettes require import license.

For importing any kind of goods you need an importer number. This means that you will be recognized as the final importer of the goods. An economic code will suffice if you have it. If you have neither of these codes, you can still work with your social security number. If you do not want to give this code to a transport and shipping company and the imported good is for your personal use, and its value is less than $ 2,500 and is cleared by a clearing agent, you can use a third party business card.

In order to carry out customs clearance duties, there are some permissions that have to be obtained. ETG can do it as your clearing agent and controls all the custom matters with its experienced experts.

Clearance under Mandatory License Standards

The most common and important clearance license is standard license. To determine the product content, Customs Department corresponds with laboratories approved by standards organization, goods that are less than 5 in number and worth less than 3000 $ are exempted from standard license. Of course, if the import is repeated, it can be prevented.

Clearance by Ministry of Road and Carriage of Goods License

This license is required for shipments that are transported by foreign fleets and includes ten percent of the freight from origin to the desired custom territory.

Medical Equipment License:

The license is required for import of medical, dental, and laboratory equipment. There are two ways for obtaining this license: import license, import and clearance license at the same time. It requires to perform the following steps:

  1. Obtaining the medical equipment importer company ID
  2. Introducing a technical supervisor to The Department of Medical Equipment
  3. Completing the relevant forms on IMED.IR website
  4. Obtaining representation of the medical equipment company along with relevant documents and certificates

Clearance by Health License

To import and clear food and cosmetics Health Department license is required.

This license may be obtained as import permit or clearance permit:

Import permit: After due process and evaluation, this license would be issued according to commercial import and export regulations set out by Ministry of Health. It includes import of raw materials for food, beverage, and cosmetics.

Clearance by Ministry of Guidance License

The executive process summary:

  1. Applicant’s request for opening license
  2. Obtaining the opening check list and providing them through the client
  3. Reviewing the presented documents by relevant expert
  4. If documents are verified after due analysis, there remains 1) opening license issue, 2) deputy signature, 3) providing the client with two copies of the performa issued by deputy

Clearance License:

According to regulations, this license would be issued after arrival of the goods to the customs territory, confirming its application, and going through due process. To obtain the clearance license, the applicant is required to provide the following documents and deliver them to the Department of Food and Hygiene or its subsidiary regulatory divisions:

  1. The product receipt (including an scanned image of it)
  2. The original second version of the performa approved upon the entry
  3. Original health certificate and the related application invoice confirmed by competent health authorities of the country of origin and sealed by Embassy of Islamic republic of Iran
  4. Original analysis form attached to a copy of it verified after document review and specification control in the import custom and delivered to food and drug control laboratories to analyze the sample and issue the license

In order to import printing machines to Iran, the ministry license is required.

Clearance under Institute for the Intellectual Development of Children and Young Adults License

In order to import and clear toys, clearing agents need to obtain this license.

License by Department of Defense

This department supervises issuing license for importing explosive and inflammable goods. Goods that could have military applications must be approved by the Ministry of Defense. In some cases the ministry acts itself, and in other cases it asks other organizations for inquiry, such as National Security Council.

Clearance by Atomic Energy Organization License

For importing and clearing the following items, clearing agents need to obtain this license: Radiopharmaceuticals, iron and steel waste and scrap, ingots scrap, copper scrap, nickel waste and scrap, Lead, Zinc, Tin, and Aluminum scrap, machines equipped with laser, mobile receiver and transmitter devices, wireless, ultraviolet lamps, medical or dental laser device, radiograph devices, and X-ray inspection devices. Of course, some goods with greater risk require import and transit permit, as well. Entry and clearance of solarium, sunbathe, sun beds etc. are banned.

Clearance by Telecommunication Department License

Telecommunications, radio equipment, controllers, navigation equipment, etc. are major devices that require CRA license that applies to both import permit and clearance permit.


  • Exemption of production line machinery from import duties (production units)
  • Clearance of imported tea with exemptions from commercial benefit of tea producer companies
  • Exemption of imported gold and silver ingots from import duties

Import Duty Exemption

  • government agreements with other foreign countries
  • items belong to foreign heads of state and their companions
  • items belong to foreign diplomatic and consular agents or representatives of the United Nations and their affiliated agencies
  • foreign transit, returns, transfers, temporary import and export, cabotage
  • Caboodle and used personal items of passengers entering the country
  • Household and personal items of Iranians living abroad who return to stay
  • Hand tools of Iranians and foreigners who come to Iran
  • Personal items and furniture and used tools of Iranians who died in foreign countries
  • Gifts that are officially given by the government to Iranian nationals as well as donations of governments and individuals to institutions and ministries
  • Ancient objects of heritage, culture, and civilization of Iran
  • Objects imported by The Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance in order to form archive and museums, cultural and artistic exhibitions, libraries, audio-visual education, art, cultural and artistic exchanges, and repair and restoration of artefacts
  • Antique objects of cultural heritage and civilization of other countries imported to create and complete public museums in the country
  • Ordinary containers and an outer wrapper of conventional imported goods as well as reels and accents similar to the imported goods
  • Vehicles fuels on entering and leaving the country
  • Animals products that are imported or exported for feeding and are returned after feeding
  • Priceless commercial samples
  • Awards and honors officially granted to the citizens of Iran on behalf of foreign governments and international institutions
  • Relief supplies donated to the Red Crescent Society
  • Main defense items